domingo, 10 de julho de 2011

The last note

When I gazed upon my enemy, cowered in fear, I realized his deepest secret. He was as frightened as I was. At the brink of collapse. And yet he stood still, holding his sword, awaiting the moment to strike me down.
Did I want peace? Eternal rest? I wasn’t sure. It was tempting, and yet, I didn’t know what scared me the most. Die or face the afterlife.
- “M-Mercy!” – I begged.
He returned the look, and laughed. It was pathetic. Both of us. He was too coward to strike me down, and I was to coward to die. But in the end, I received mercy. God showed me mercy. He burnt my opponent with his might and glory, and he fell. It was a dark day for our company, and as the only survivor, I was doomed to face another day. Alone. Waiting to be forgotten and washed away by the rain.
But then a voice whispered in my head: “Immortality comes with a price, old one.” it said, and I fainted. I couldn’t bare the stress no more.
I woke a couple hours later. I’m still not sure if it was the same day, but it was almost nightfall, and I was in need of a shelter. The wolves were nasty opponents. They never surrender. They never retreat. Strike as a pack, in a dying prey like me. But I wasn’t about to give up, not yet. Not after that whispering voice that was now silence, somewhere, watchful.
And so I travelled. I walked until I couldn’t anymore, which was a couple miles ahead. I climbed a tree and awaited my fate. A cold breeze whispered in the night. The full moon was rising and the howls were spreading. I needed a weapon, a light one, sharp, or I would not survive that night. The struggle to get down from the tree was exhausting, nevertheless, finding the perfect weapon showed to be pretty easy and quick.
A stick and a hand full of stones would do the job. Now I was lacking a place to rest through the night. That was when I found it. The most amazing thing in the world. A beauty of power and presence of mind.
I climbed the largest tree I could find. Her branches were strong enough to hold me until the next sunrise. Once I got into a good position, I looked around and I saw fire. Not any fire, consuming the world’s natural beauty. But someone manipulating fire. Working with it. Dancing! It was amazing. Everything in a small radious was silent, except for the whipping of the flames. I had to go there. Meet the Fire Master.
Oh but the night was tricky! It didn’t take long for the wolves to get my scent and surround my tree. I was trapped, perhaps for more than just the night. My stomach replied. It was angry and hungry. What a terrible fate for a man of the Company. It was terrible indeed. In that dark hour, I wished I perished alongside my companions.
When I thought all was lost, God showed me mercy. Fire rained from the skies. The same fire that consumed my previous opponent, now chased my fearful enemies. And so my demise was postponed. I looked for the mysterious fire, but it was gone. I cursed my bad luck. I had no choice but to rest for the night.
I woke up to a cold morning dew.  My stomach groaned again. I was in desperate need for something to eat, to ease my hunger. To my great surprise, I found a couple of fruit pieces, some cheese, bread and a small keg of water. I never figured out who gave me those, but I still have my suspicions. I ate with great satisfaction. The meal was cold, but delicious. And so was the water. It didn’t take me too long to devour my breakfast, and once I was over with it, I decided to search for that mysterious fire manipulator.
It was a dangerous voyage, but I had to try. Somehow, the finding of that man was the answer to my salvation. I had to try. The road was risky, so I had to take a pathway through the forest. It wasn’t safe either, but provided the cover. It took me two days to cover the entire forest, from one side to another. The first night arrived early and with it a light rain, that lowered my mood. I had to spend another night in the cold, alone, on the top of a tree. But this time there was no fire to light by hope from afar…
On the third day of trip, I managed to get to the forest’s edge. I was frigthened, cold, tired, and yet I had a smile on my face. I was relieved I got this far alive and unspoiled. The wolves troubled me no more, for which I was grateful. Now I had a new task ahead of me, the old finding-the-fire-manipulator 0bjective. It seemed nearly impossible. And yet, I felt a human presence nearby, he was close, I was sure of it.
After the forest, there was nothing for miles but a plain of grass in every direction. I walked a couple miles, and I would have walked further if it weren’t for the giant circle covered in ashes. He had been there. But where did he go from there? The possibilities where overwhelming, but luck smiled once more. Not far from there, I watched to the south smoke. Smoke rising for what seemed a house. Friend or foe? I had no other option.
Thirsty and hungry as I was, I walked slowly for hours. It was a painful path, but I managed to reach the house. There was no sound from inside, but smoke rose from the chimney. I approached carefully, always watching my back. Fear was persistent. A few steps later and I was at the door. Oh the fear of the unknown. I almost ran away as fast as I could. But bravery took the reins and I raised my hand to knock.
Terrible idea. The moment I touched the door, the house exploded. The chaos has taken place, flames consuming everything, and there she was. Right in the middle, looking upon me with a mad expression. The one I thought my ally, showed himself as a powerful enemy. My biggest surprise was realizing that the fire master was actually a woman. She laughed at my incredulity and the flames disappeared.
- “So you’re the one who smote those who killed your company.” – She had a calm, clear voice and yet powerful and frigthening.
- “T-The hand and m-might of God, d-did that, n-not me.”
- “GOD!? Ha! What a pathetic belief.” – She laughed with mockery. – “It was all you, old one. You reached the connection between our world and the fiery deeps of hell.”
- “Teach me.”
It was all I was able to say. She smiled and did so. Long months passed and finally I mastered the technique. Oh it was unique. The power, the possibilities. Your mind was your own limitation. That’s what she kept saying to me. I failed several times at first and I was punished for that. But the marks remain as a sign of my victory. I can now manipulate fire, and along side my master, we shape the world.
I stopped writing in this diary. If you found it, it means our goal failed, and we probably lie dead in a glorious battlefield. This is the testimony of my experience. And remember, you too can reach the other world, the raw power, The secret is simple:
“Your mind, is your own limitation.”

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário